Wednesday, June 28, 2006

ただいま

I'm here. I just arrived in Japan yesterday. The flight took 13 hours, and the train 4 (one on a 'normal' train, 3 on a shinkansen). I don't feel too sorry for myself, though, because I know it could always be worse: I know people who have flown to India, which took like 26 hours. At least I was on the ground for the last part of my trip!!!
I wonder if I annoyed the guy in the seat behind me on the bullet train. Every time we went through a tunnel, I closed my window shade so I wouldn't have to look at my exhausted reflection. When we got out, I would open it so I could see the mountains (I was hoping to see Fuji-san, but I don't think we even went by it!). This process went on for the whole 3 hours I was on the train. Well, I guess not the WHOLE 3 hours--I did sleep for part of it.
I arrived in Osaka at 7pm. My host family said to call them when I got there, so I didn't expect them to be waiting for me when I got there. They were. As I made a mad dash for the restroom, I heard my host brother, Takuya (age 21), yelling for me as 6 of the train station staff looked on smirking. I ran over to him saying ’といれ!’(toilet) frantically until he shewed me away. When I came back and exited the ticket gate, we all had a heartful ’ひさしぶり’(long-time-no-see) and headed toward another train station to get Tsugumi (host sister, age 15), who was just getting back from school.
Then we went to a traditional Japanese restaraunt for dinner. We put our shoes in lockers and followed the hostess to a lowered table. Dinner was great--I wish I could have finished it. My body was too tired to eat a lot.
As we left, Takuya glanced around the restaraunt and said, smiling, "They're all staring at you." Yeah, yeah. Guess I'll have to get re-used to that. I mostly ignore it, but it is hard to when I'm stationary (like sitting on a train or something).
I love their guest room! I got to sleep on a futon on the たたみ (tatami) floor! It was so nice.
I really want to go somewhere. It's noon and I'm at the house alone (everybody's at work or school). I was hoping to meet Katie (missionary to Osaka), but she hasn't answered her phone. I guess I could go out alone, but that'd be weird and lonesome. I'll probably just walk to the コンビ二 (convenience store) and grab some lunch there. I dunno.
I got an e-mail from Shindo-san saying I should contact him ASAP because "I'm responsible for you. Got it?" Agast (not really), I searched frantically through my e-mail for his phone number. I e-mailed him, saying I couldn't find it. Then I found it and called him. (He just wanted to check on me and make sure everything was okay.)
Saturday and Sunday are booked, but weekdays are empty until Tuesday. I hope Katie calls me back!!! Otherwise I'll have to make new friends!!!! LOL. j/k
I will be in Osaka until late Tuesday, and then will move to Chiba for two days. From there I'll move to Tokyo, where I'll stay until August 13th. I will be in Gunma from the 13th to the 22nd. I will come home on the 22nd, arriving before I left. School starts the following Monday. I have to move into my new apt. sometime before then!
Ain't life grand?