Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Camp fire = hell?



Last week was soooo busy! Mon, Tue, Thu, and Fri mornings from 9-12 I helped the church kindergarten's English teacher with her English camp. Thur-Sat was an overnight church camp for grades 1-6 (grades 1-2 didn't stay overnight). Several middle-schoolers and singles helped out. Not long after I got back to my homestay on Sat afternoon, I had to get ready to go to our city's summer festival. Sunday was packed too, so I didn't really rest until Monday morning. Today (Tue) was pretty much a full day of rest, so I think I've recovered!!!
Here's an edited version of what I journaled Sat morning:
"today is the third and last day of church camp. Last night, after Shindo-san told me several kids were close to accepting Christ, I prayed that someone would. Fuki (foo-kee) did! [Fuki is 3rd-grade girl whose family comes to the church] At first, I thought it was bad that she wasn't really paying attention to what the pastor was saying during his mini-sermon. Instead, she kept saying how scary the camp fire looked. Then I prayed that God would even use the fire to reach the kid's hearts...First Yochi (a guy in his early twenties, soon-to-be elementary school teacher, camp emcee) and then Shindo-san talked with her as I sat with her. Even though the pastor said nothing about hell last night--nor did any of the camps' topics thus far been on that topic--that's what was on Fuki's mind. She said that, as she looked at the fire, she thought of hell, and that she didn't want to go there. Later that night she talked with Yochi again and prayed to receive Christ. Praise the Lord for Fuki!!!"