I leave for the US tomorrow. Daiju and I will take a bus to the airport early tomorrow morning, and get to Dallas by 3pm CST. I wish the flight really were only 3 hours...but actually it's more like 11 or 12.
When Daiju was still in the US and called me here in Japan, he didn't recognize my voice at first. I had spoken to him in Japanese. My Japanese had improved since I'd been gone. Now I can hold limited conversations in Japanese. God is good.
On Saturday I met a girl (age 20) from France. She lived in Japan until age 6, and is here now for an internship. She said she knows French, Japanese (not much kanji, though), a little Spanish, and a little English. We spoke in Japanese. Yoshida-san (from the church in Dallas) was shocked when he saw that; so was my friend Shigeko's daughter, Junko. It's really funny that French and English are so close linguistically, yet the median we communicated with was Japanese.
The French girl I just mentioned is named Erika. She's reallly pretty, and very pleasant. Daiju invited her to church (she's not a Christian, and had never been to a Protestant church) and she actually came!!! Praise God!!! I hope she keeps going there. Maybe she'll believe in Jesus.
At the church, I re-met Amy--a new missionary to Tokyo. She's been here for like 3 months now and still hasn't had any language training. It's really hard for her. Please pray that she'll pick up the language soon and be able to communicate the Gospel and her testimony effectively.
The せみ (cicadas) are really big and quite loud here. They're drowning out Daiju's piano-playing...
Daiju's mom is a an aroma therapist, but she also does massage. I think she's adopted me as her guinea pig. I was with her for like 2 hours today and she said we still weren't done, but I told her I was done. She was okay with that. She's pretty easy-going, as long as everybody's happy and you eat everything she gives you. She has a certificate to teach English, but she can't really speak it...or read it...or write it...Maybe it's just been too long and too far gone.
This isn't in Japan, but I'm so excited: Fausta accepted Christ and wants to be baptised!! Hooray!!!