Monday, August 07, 2006

kids say the darndest things

I'm gonna try to remember all the cool stuff the elementary-school age kids at church have said to me...(oh, BTW, '-chan' is kind of like '-y' in English...i.e. 'kim' > 'kimmy')
Today, Chi-chan asked me if there McDonald's is in America.
On Saturday, I was talking with Seika-chan's aunt about forgeting languages. She said she's almost completely forgotten English, and I said I've forgotten most of the Spanish I learned. Then Seika-chan said, 'Have you forgotten English, too?' NO...it's my language!!!
The kids are amazed by the funniest things. Some are amazed that I speak Japanese, others are amazed that I speak English. Eyes gaped and jaws dropped when they saw my journal was all written in English. My pick (comb) had girls calling their friends over to come and see the American's comb.
Seika-chan looked at my eyes for a long time and then said, 'Your eyes are blue, aren't they.' Yes... 'Do you see different colors than I do?'

But adults have interesting comments, too. I'm often asked if my hair is permed or died or if it's natural (さいごだよ). I'm often told I have long legs (or feet...both are true, technically...in Japanese, your foot is part of your leg in that there's only one word which encompasses both of them...........So, if you're told you have ながい あし [long legs/feet], you'll just have to guess how to translate that into English....my guess, in this case, is legs). I'm asked at least once a week if I can use chopsticks. Everyone wants to know if I'll eat sushi.

And I have made countless mistakes myself. When choosing my Yukata (summer kimono; traditional Japanese dress), I said I wanted the eel (unagi) one instead of the bunny (usagi) one. I misheard the word for 'cool' (temperature) and thought someone said 'shameful' [suzushii VS. zuzushii]. I tried to read a menu...I read that the dish had a pocket (poketto) instead of potato (poteto). Instead of saying 'I forgot it' (wasureta), I said 'I haven't memorized it' (oboretenai).

God is good...all the time!
(and yes, I know I'm not spelling all the ろまじ correctly...)