No, I'm not singing a country song...I'm talking about the Bible.
Tonight at Akebono Baptist Church's prayer meeting, we read from 2 Chronicles (sp?) 19. How could I miss such a cool chapter?? I know I've read the whole book, but I guess not carefully enough. I now re-resolve to read the Bible more carefully! We should discern and judge via our God!!!
Please pray for the new Christians in Japan. They face a very difficult decision--how to serve God and not idols without ostracizing themselves from their families and society.
Today I talked with several elementary school age girls about my experience as a church kid. After I told them my experiences and what I have learned (that going to church should be something I want to do, not just an obligation to my parents), we had a Q&A time. They asked me all kinds of questions (I understood less than half of them--thankfully Shindo-sensei was there to translate for me).
"How old were you when you first went to church?"
"In church in America, do you sing songs and play games and hand-bells?"
"How many Bibles do you have? Were they all given to you?"
"Have you read the entire Bible?"
"Was there ever a time you didn't want to go to church? Why?"
"When you were a kid, was there something about church you didn't like?"
"How fast can you read one page of the Bible? How long does it take to read one book in the Bible?"
I got several questions like that last one. It was then that I explained the important thing is to listen to what God says as you read the Bible, not to finish it quickly. I said:
Imagine both of your parents went on a trip without you and left you here. You get a really long letter from them. It is a very special letter. Do you look at it and say, 'Okay, how fast can I read this letter?' or do you read it carefully and thoughtfully, thinking of them as you read? That's how it is with us and God. The Bible contains His words.