Monday, July 17, 2006

It's all about 愛 (love)

People have been wondering why I came all the way to Japan alone just to help churches (not sight-see) and why I like Japan and its people so much. That's when I get to tell them I want to share God's love with the people. The love I have for Japan comes from Him. I am here to give the approximately 98% who don't know Christ (most haven't even heard of Him) the opportunity to do so. "You are the Lord, the Famous One/Great is Your name in all the earth..."
I've started a little get together at church on Monday afternoons called Meet Amanda. I hope it will be a good outreach program. I am trying to get Jr. High and Highschoolers to come. I invited a few I saw on the train today. Everyone tells me the kids come to church until around sixth grade, and then they disappear until college/work-age. But this gap must be bridged. Just look at Japan's news: the younger generation is degrading to a level as low as or lower than many American youth. Sure, Japan's crime rate is still lower than the US, but that doesn't mean nothing's wrong. A recent static trend has been children burning down their homes with their parents inside. Adults are messed up too--just like you see in the US. But God has called me to Japan. So, to those of you in the US, がんばれ! Persevere!
My pastor (not Dr. Mathews, but Takarada-sensei) came to the church here with two representatives from a group of Americans trying to use Billy Grahams' evangelism method to reach the world for Christ. They told us that, basically, you pray fervently for like 10 nonbelievers you are in consistent contact with. You pray for them for 6 months, all the while sharing the Gospel with them. At the end of the six months, you invite them to a big revival/rally thingy, at which most if not all accept Christ as Lord and Savior. One of the members said something profound: he said he's sick of making excuses. Japanese hearts are hard, seemingly impenetrable. The Japanese are a hard group to reach, even for their own. Many methods of outreach have been implemented, but with few positive results. He said he feels it's time to PRAY.
みなさん、 祈りましょう! Everybody, let's pray!